Saturday, June 23, 2012

Reflections on "Carmen and Geoffrey: A Documentary"


 

Geoffrey Holder is a man of magic. In a time when Americans scoffed at the idea of Black significance, he rose above and shaped the atmosphere of creative arts with his own bare hands. I, for one, have been inspired and impacted by both his livelihood and visionary mindset. A few days ago, my mother asked me a question. “What,” she posed “would you do if you knew that you could not fail.” A few days ago, I spouted some far-fetched dream of unmatched athleticism and soon went along my way. However, after learning of the life and times of Geoffrey, my mind has wandered back to that well-used yet poignant question. What would I really do if I knew I could not fail? Would I continue on in the career aims that I currently pursue with unmatched ferocity or would I drift farther to the left where my more apparent, creative tendencies lie? Would I follow the paved path that my years of internships and networking have constructed or would I fall passionately to ignored urges and test the guarantee of success by attempting what I truly love. Then again, are these questions shallow and inappropriate? Am I only reevaluating my goals and aspirations because the allure of creative arts shine brighter than the lull of corporate America? To be honest, I really do not know. To be honest, I’m a little worried.  Apprehensive, even. The last thing I want, need, or dream of is an unhappy, unfulfilled life. While money is often the motive, money can only serve as a medium of fulfillment for so long. I wish to be like Geoffrey and his stunning wife Carmen—ancient in years but satisfied and fulfilled, creating beauty simply because they neglected what was easily attained and instead pursued what flowed naturally within them. Whatever my blood of passion, we’ll call it, happens to be, I will find it and I will embrace it. Then, I will let it flow. Naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment